All Training is now run from our Mt Roskill site.
Learn to Dive!
Getting into diving has never been so easy or so enjoyable as with Dive HQ Auckland. The PADI Open Water Diver Course is a great way to get into New Zealand diving. PADI scuba courses are now run all year round from our Dive Shop in Mt Roskill, but you can book at the Westhaven store.
Training is conducted over two weekends. Saturday and Sundays. The theory part of your PADI Open Water course is online, so you can study at your own pace in your own time and join us for the pool and open water dives. We also now offer weekday courses and private courses. Tailor-made for your group of friends or colleagues.
Course cost $599.00
Group discount prices vary please enquire
All of your scuba equipment is supplied, but you will need your own scuba quality snorkelling equipment (mask, snorkel, fins and boots). We have a Budget Package at $199, Basic Package $299 and our Premium Package $499. Talk to us about your requirements and what will suit you personally. If you find something you like somewhere else talk to us we can usually get it for you.
The theory part of your PADI open water course is online, so you can study at your own pace in your own time and join us for the pool and open water dives. We still run the traditional classroom course on request, but most people prefer the flexibility of PADI e-learning now.
The course is divided into 3 segments:
We run our PADI open water courses over two weekends Saturday & Sunday. The second weekend we get you out into the open water at one of the beautiful dive sites North of Auckland at Goat Island, Jones Bay or Matheson Bay or our own adopted Project Aware dive site Ti Point. If you are interested, we can also take you to The Poor Knights, New Zealand’s World-renowned dive site.
We offer private courses or family courses by request. Please call the store and we will tailor the course to your personal training needs at a time that suits you.
Why should I learn to dive with Dive HQ Auckland?
- We are part of the well-known and National Dive HQ Group. Fully audited for safety with Worksafe New Zealand.
- All our instructors are experienced and well trained. They will take the time to make sure you get the best learn to dive experience you can have.
- We are a PADI Five Star Dive Centre and PADI Five Star IDC (Instructor Development Centre) Our instructors don’t only teach beginners to get into diving. Our Instructors teach right through to Instructor and PADI Speciality Instructor. If you are interested in becoming a Diving Professional. Go to our Careers in Diving Courses Page.
- Where possible we do all our Open Water dives in the ocean, weather and safety permitting.
- We don’t claim to be the cheapest. If you are interested in getting into diving, we believe that we can offer you a safe, professional course and an enjoyable experience. We are fully safety audited and are registered with Work Safe New Zealand. We take the time to make sure you are a confident beginner diver when you complete your course with Dive HQ Auckland.
- We don’t claim to have the smallest training groups. We believe that diving and learning should be a fun and sociable experience. We do, however, make sure we have enough Instructors and PADI Divemasters to make sure your first New Zealand diving experience is a safe and enjoyable one.
- We can help arrange car-pooling and meetups. Just let us know about your needs.
- We offer great discounts on dive gear for Dive HQ Auckland Students. Just ask. We will take the time to find a dive package to suit your dive gear needs and budget. Like shoes, dive gear isn’t that great to buy online. You need to fit it to you and your diving requirements.
- We offer our students extra sessions if required so that they are comfortable before going out into the ocean. Your safety and enjoyable experience is our responsibility.
- We have a high standard of quality, brand rental gear and well-maintained equipment.
Have a look at some of our package deals on our online store: Online Shop
- Minimum 12 years of age (at stores discretion)
- Current Dive Medical (conducted within the previous 12 months)
- You should be able to swim 200m (any stroke and no time limit) and tread water for 10 minutes.
Cost includes all diver training and reference materials, scuba equipment (apart from snorkel gear), pool use, four ocean dives and a PADI certification.
For a small additional charge, your group can decide to complete their open water at the world-renowned Poor Knights Marine Reserve just a few hrs from Auckland or at our usual spot at Matherson's Bay or Goat Island Marine Reserve. All sites are excellent dive sites.
What do I need?
Snorkelling gear (mask, fins, snorkel).
How do I book?
- You can now book online Online Shop
- A $200 deposit will secure your place on the course and allow us to issue you with your online theory (eLearning).
- Your deposit is non-refundable unless you have a permanent medical condition that prevents you from diving AND you give us sufficient notice (see below) AND your access pass to your online theory has not been redeemed.
- If you have a permanent medical condition that prevents you from diving then we will happily provide you with a refund, but you must give us at least a week's notice prior to the scheduled start of your dive course and provide us with a copy of your physician’s medical statement. Once you start your dive course, or if you advise us less than a week before the start of your dive course, we are unable to provide a refund for a failed medical or for other reasons.
- If you miss a session or are late for your course you may need to do a catch-up session. Extra charges may apply.
- If after you have booked or started a course you need to change your course dates, please speak with us as early as possible so we can try and accommodate your request.
The PADI Open Water Diver Course Online
The PADI Open Water Diver course is, by far, the world's most popular scuba certification course. Millions of people have started diving as certified PADI Open Water Divers.
Designed with the busy diver in mind, eLearning is all about convenience – the opportunity to begin and continue diver education beginning on the Internet and continuing through a PADI Dive Centre or Resort of your choice.
Through an interactive web-based program new students will read, hear and see the same material other student divers receive from interacting with the PADI Open Water Diver manual and Video or Multimedia.
Learning to scuba dive requires both knowledge development (facts, principles, concepts) and motor procedures (skills, techniques, methods). The PADI Open Water Diver Course online provides the knowledge development portion you need. You develop the remaining skills by actually diving with a PADI Instructor.
After enrolling, PADI's eLearning system presents you with interactive presentations that include videos, audio, graphics and reading. Short quizzes let you gauge your progress, and review and correct anything you might happen to miss. This lets you move through the program efficiently and at your own pace.
The PADI Open Water Diver Course includes the online eLearning pass.
To sign up and book you on to a course, we will require a $200 deposit in order to issue you with your eLearning pass. Full payment needs to be made before your course starts. This can be Saturday morning if required. We will also issue you an RSTC medical which must be completed prior to starting your eLearning. If, for medical reasons, you can not complete the dive course and the elearning pass is still active, we can issue you with a refund. Refunds will not be issued for change of mind.
Next Learning to Dive Dates:
We hold PADI Open Water Courses year-round. Our next few courses are scheduled as follows. If none of these dates suit you, please give us a ring and we will schedule a course to accommodate you.
Our courses book up fast, especially in summer.
|Start Date||Classroom Dates||Pool Dates||Openwater Dates||Course Type||Store|
|Advanced Open Water|
|09/04/2022||e-learning||na||09/04/2022-10/04/2022||Advanced Open Water||Auckland||Full Course Info|
|Open Water Diver|
|31/01/2022||Mid week Holiday Programme||31/01/2022-01/02/2022||023/02/2022-03/02/2022||Open Water Diver||Auckland||Full Course Info|
|12/02/2022||e-learning||12/02/2022-13/02/2022||19/02/2022-20/02/2022||Open Water Diver||Auckland||Full Course Info|
|14/02/2022||Mid week Holiday Programme||14/02/2022-15/02/2022||16/02/2022-17/02/2022||Open Water Diver||Auckland||Full Course Info|
|26/02/2022||e-learning||26/02/2022-27/02/2022||05/03/2022-06/03/2022||Open Water Diver||Auckland||Full Course Info|
|12/03/2022||e-learning||12/03/2022=13/03/2022||19/03/2022-20/03/2022||Open Water Diver||Auckland||Full Course Info|
|26/03/2022||e-learning||26/03/2022-26/03/2022||02/04/2022-03/04/2022||Open Water Diver||Auckland||Full Course Info|
|16/04/2022||e-learning||16/04/2022-17/04/2022||23/04/2022-24/04/2022||Open Water Diver||Auckland||Full Course Info|
|Open Water Scuba Instructor|
|14/02/2022||NZQA Diploma in Professional Scuba Instruction||Fees Free & Study-link Available||email firstname.lastname@example.org||Open Water Scuba Instructor||Auckland||Full Course Info|