Learn to Dive!
Getting into diving has never been so easy or so enjoyable than with Dive HQ Westhaven. The PADI Open Water Dive Course is a great way to get into New Zealand diving. PADI scuba courses are run all year round from our Dive Shop in Auckland City.
Training is conducted over two weekends. Saturday and Sundays. The theory part of your PADI Open Water course is online, so you can study at your own pace in your own time and join us for the pool and open water dives.
Course cost $550.00
All of your scuba equipment is supplied, but you will need to supply your own snorkelling equipment (mask, snorkel, fins and boots). We have great starter packages available for students.
The theory part of your open water course is online, so you can study at your own pace in your own time and join us for the pool and open water dives. We still run the traditional classroom course on request, but most people prefer the flexibility of PADI e-learning now.
The course is divided into 3 segments:
- Pool sessions
- Open Water
We run our PADI Open Water Courses over two weekends Saturday & Sundays. In the summer we have sole use of The Rescue Helicopter Underwater Training Pool in Mechanic’s Bay. In winter we train using the Newmarket Indoor Pools in Auckland City. The second weekend we get you out into the open water at one of the beautiful dive sites North of Auckland at Goat Island, Jones Bay or Matheson Bay. If you are interested, we can also take you to The Poor Knights, New Zealand’s World renowned dive site. We can arrange car pooling and will work to your needs.
We also offer Private Courses by request. Please call the store and we will tailor the course to your personal training needs at a time that suits you.
Why should I learn to dive with
Dive HQ Westhaven?
- We are part of the well-known and National Dive HQ Group. Fully audited for safety with Worksafe New Zealand.
- All our instructors are experienced, and well trained. They will take the time to make sure you get the best learn to dive experience you can have.
- We are a PADI Five Star Dive Centre and PADI Five Star IDC (Instructor Development Centre) Our instructors don’t only teach beginners to get into diving. Our Instructors teach right through to Instructor and PADI Speciality Instructor. If you are interested in becoming a Diving Professional. Go to our Careers in Diving Courses Page.
- Where possible we do all our Open Water dives in the ocean, weather and safety permitting.
- We don’t claim to be the cheapest. If you are interested in getting into Diving, we believe that we can offer you a safe, professional course and an enjoyable experience. We are fully safety audited and are register with Work Safe New Zealand. We take the time to make sure you are a confident beginner diver when you complete your course with Dive HQ Westhaven.
- We don’t claim to have small training groups. We believe that diving and learning should be a fun and sociable experience. We do however make sure we have enough Instructors and PADI Divemasters to make sure your first New Zealand diving experience is a safe and enjoyable one.
- We arrange car-pooling and meet ups. Just let us know about your needs.
- We offer great discounts on dive gear for Dive HQ Westhaven Students. Just ask. We will take the time to find a dive package to suit your needs and budget. Like shoes, dive gear isn’t that great to buy online. You need to fit it to you and your diving requirements.
- We offer our students extra sessions if required, so that you are comfortable before going out into the ocean. Your safety and an enjoyable experience is our responsibility.
- We have a high standard of quality brand rental gear and well-maintained equipment.
Great "Get into Diving" Deals Available now!
- Minimum 12 years of age (at stores discretion)
- Current Dive Medical (conducted within the previous 12 months)
- You should be able to swim 200m (any stroke and no time limit) and tread water for 10 minutes.
Cost includes all training and reference materials, scuba equipment (apart from snorkel gear), pool use, four ocean dives and certificate.
For a small additional charge you group can decide to completed their openwater at the world renowned Poor Knights Marine Reserve just a few hrs from Auckland or at our usual spot at Mathersons Bay or Goat Island Marine Resrve. All sites are excellent dive sites.
What do I need?
Snorkelling gear (mask, fins, snorkel).
How do I book?
- Contact us in store or send us an enquiry.
- A $200 deposit will secure your place on the course and allow us to issue you with your online theory (eLearning).
- Your deposit is non-refundable unless you have a permanent medical condition that prevents you from diving AND you give us sufficient notice (see below) AND your access pass to your online theory has not been redeemed.
- If you have a permanent medical condition that prevents you from diving then we will happily provide you with a refund, but you must give us at least a week's notice prior to the scheduled start of your dive course and provide us with a copy of your physician’s medical statement. Once you start your dive course, or if you advise us less than a week before the start of your dive course, we are unable to provide a refund for a failed medical or for other reasons.
- If you miss a session or are late for your course you may need to do a catch-up session. Extra charges may apply.
- If after you have booked or started a course you need to change your course dates, please speak with us as early as possible so we can try and accommodate your request.
The PADI Open Water Diver Course Online
The PADI Open Water Diver course is, by far, the world's most popular scuba certification course. Millions of people have started diving as certified PADI Open Water Divers.
Designed with the busy diver in mind, eLearning is all about convenience – the opportunity to begin and continue diver education beginning on the Internet and continuing through a PADI Dive Centre or Resort of your choice.
Through an interactive web-based program new students will read, hear and see the same material other student divers receive from interacting with the PADI Open Water Diver manual and Video or Multimedia.
Learning to scuba dive requires both knowledge development (facts, principles, concepts) and motor procedures (skills, techniques, methods). The PADI Open Water Diver Course online provides the knowledge development portion you need. You develop the remaining skills by actually diving with a PADI Instructor.
After enrolling, PADI's eLearning system presents you with interactive presentations that include videos, audio, graphics and reading. Short quizzes let you gauge your progress, and review and correct anything you might happen to miss. This lets you move through the program efficiently and at your own pace.
The PADI Open Water Diver Course includes the online eLearning pass.
To sign up and book you on to a course, we will require a $200 deposit in order to issue you with your eLearning pass. Full payment needs to be made before your course starts. This can be Saturday morning if required. We will also issue you a RSTC medical which must be completed prior to starting your elearning. If, for medical reasons, you can not complete the dive course and the elearning pass is still active, we can issue you with a refund. Refunds will not be issued for change of mind.
Next Learning to Dive Dates:
We hold PADI Open Water Courses year round. Our next few courses are scheduled as follows. If none of these dates suit you, please give us a ring and we will schedule a course to accommodate you.
Our courses book up fast especially in summer.
|Start Date||Classroom Dates||Pool Dates||Openwater Dates||Course Type||Store|
|Advanced Open Water|
|27/09/2019||Advanced Open Water||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|26/10/2019||At Poor Knights, HMNZS Canterbury or Rainbow Warrior- Contact store for details||26/10/2019-27/10/2019||Advanced Open Water||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|11/10/2019||Night Diver||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|08/11/2019||Night Diver||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|Open Water Diver|
|30/09/2019||School Holiday Programme 14+||30/09/2019-01/10/2019||02/10/2019-03/10/2019||Open Water Diver||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|05/10/2019||5/10/2019-6/10/2019||12/10/2019-13/10/2019||Open Water Diver||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|19/10/2019||19/10/2019-20/10/2019||26/10/2019-27/10/2019||Open Water Diver||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|02/11/2019||2/11/2019-3/11/2019||9/11/2019-10/11/2019||Open Water Diver||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|16/11/2019||16/11/2019-17/11/2019||23/11/2019-24/11/2019||Open Water Diver||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|30/11/2019||31/11/2019-1/12/2019||7/12/2019-8/12/2019||Open Water Diver||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|14/12/2019||14/12/2019-15/12/2019||21/12/2019-22/12/2019||Open Water Diver||Westhaven||Full Course Info|
|16/12/2019||School Holiday Programme 14+||16/12/2019-17/12/2019||18/12/2019-19/12/2019||Open Water Diver||Westhaven||Full Course Info|